Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Joining the Dark Side

Joining the Dark Side

Uploaded by  on Nov 4, 2008

I didn’t mean to join the dark side; and I’m certainly not trying to recruit new members. 

(Even though we do work on commission.) 

Insomnia had the best of me, so I thought some nice music would lull me to sleep. Too bad the music didnt shut off after an hour, so the radio stayed on all night longInundating my subconscious with a slew of heinous subliminal messages: 

“Don’t eat spinach.” 

“Refined sugars and refined flours are fun.” 

“Luuuuuuke.” (Inhale, gasp.) Im your fathers friends nephews neighbor from three doors down.” 

“Everybodys joining the dark side. Don’t be a fuddy-duddy.” 

Before the sun set the next day, I sacrificed a goat to dark forces and bought a set of Ginsu knives


Not in that order. 

Besides a goat and two chickens, I sacrificed a soda can and two shoes. 

Just because I could. 

And they werent my soda can and shoes. 

Being a mindless minion of the dark side wasnt much different than being a member of that political party you dont like. (You know the one.) 

Besides having to do the bidding of the Evil One, selling our souls for sandwiches with too much mayonnaise and not enough mustard, and staying awake all night without cable TV, the worst part of the dark side was the lack of sufficient lighting. 

That explains why pawns of dark forces always look so bad. They cant see well enough to primp. 

Before the rooster crows, my fellow cult members and I arrive at the airport to hand out flowers and pamphlets. 

We give them away for free. But we will pummel you if you fail to make a donation
Sacrificing chickens and goats is messy. Smelly too! I dislike sales. The robes itch too much. And the other cult members seem unable to grasp the concepts of basic hygiene. 

So I decided to flee for my life, for my eternal soul, and for whatever was left of my sanity! 

Oh yes, and I didnt like being the puppet of dark forces. 

And they had the dumbest entertainment too! Some dude in a designer striped suit waving a pocket watch back and forth kept chanting: You will do as I say. You will do as I say.

Boring! Mix it up a little. Do as I say, you will. As I say, you will do. Obey me my mindless minions!” 

With all those commands to obey, youd think he couldve at least once mentioned how to use soap, deodorant, and breath mints


So, I tried to escape ... I really, really tried.


Published on May 24, 2012 by 
Music video by Kelly Clarkson performing Dark Side. 
(C) 2012 RCA Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainment

Sneaking out in the laundry truck didnt work. Who knew they poked the sullied uniforms with pointy sticks? Yeoww! So much for my foolproof escape plan! 

Plan B failed too. (Disguising myself as a bush and crawling away a foot or two at a time.) 

That was a perfect plan! Until the leaves of my bush costume touched the electric fence and burst into flames. 

Not the burning bush moment I had always hoped for. 

Plan Q finally worked! I broke free from the dark forces by sacrificing a can of SPAM


Apparently, that’s grounds for immediate dismissal. 

Even from the dark side

Having escaped that evil dark forces cult, I feel like I need a hundred Communions to make me clean. But I only need one. 

That is, if I truly repent. And I do. I mostly do. Im trying to. But I admit: Cutting shoes in half with Ginsu knives is fun! Soda cans too.  

Dean

COMING FRIDAY: Time-Traveling with Hollywood Hunks*

They make me call them that. But I have a different nickname for them.





No comments:

Post a Comment