Monday, April 22, 2013

Getting Messy with Nessie Part 2


Getting Messy with Nessie 
Part 2:
Meeting Someone Newed to Me
by
Dean Burkey


By the time I reached Urquhart Castle
tourists crowded along the shoreline. 
I climbed Grant Tower to gaze upon 
the dark and eerie waters of Urquhart Bay 
in the mysterious Loch Ness
No sign of Nessie anywhere. 
Not a ripple. 

Either the Loch Ness Monster was mad; 
or she was too shy to show up 
and risk being seen by so many picture-happy people. 

Worn out from shoveling intensely 
for 182 laborious hours of the past 13 days, 
I figured I’d drive to the nearest pub 
to enjoy a pint or two, while I waited 
for the crowd of cameras to disperse. 

I wanted at least a pint, 
but Coleen Campbell, my cordial server 
at the Loch and Key House of Hops, said, 
“Look lad, we’re a pub, not an ice cream shoppe. 
We don’t carry Rocky Road.” 

“That’s your loss.” 
I smiled. 

She smiled back. 
I have that effect on women. 
Or I had something silly stuck in my teeth. 
Either way, I made a hottie smile! 

I meet gorgeous women all the time, 
so I can easily ignore when a gorgeous woman 
tries to talk me into something. 
Or I can avoid being conned by a smiling woman too. 
Unless a gorgeous woman smiles at me, 
‘cause no matter what she says, I’ll agree. 
Which readily explains why I bought 
all those auto parts. 
For the wrong year, make, and model of car. 

So Coleen smiled and recommended 
a hearty helping of haggis with a half a hunk of hummus
Which wouldn’t’ve been so bad, 
but no one said the hummus contained alfalfa sprouts

Without going into the gory details, 
I’ll just say that halfway through my meal, 
I ran to the W.C. (a.k.a. restroom); 
and thereafter, the  Scots branded me: 
Mack Pooper. 

Some seedy-looking lad leered at me menacingly. 
I wondered if he was Coleen’s brother or ex. 
He signaled to his mates and said, “That’s the one.” 
So maybe he tried to use the facilities 
and found himself unable to do so due to the stench. 
If Bigfoot got wind of this, 
Biggie would never let me live it down. 

Coleen must’ve felt bad. 
Or she was flattered because I grossly 
miscalculated the gratuity in her favor. 
Or, as I’d like to think, 
we had such an endearing bond. 
Anyway, 
she asked if I fancied a swim after her shift, 
so I said yes and then ran back to the W.C. 
(a.k.a. oval office).

Fortunately, my intestinal turmoil ceased 
about the same time as her shift ended. 
We met by Urquhart Castle. 
Finally, with the sun set, the tourists had left. 

I rushed into a garden shack out back 
to change into my swimsuit. 
When I came out, Coleen was gone! 

How long was I in there? 
Okay, Coleen was gone, 
but her clothes weren’t. 
I found them flung upon the ground 
heading toward the water. 

After finding her unmentionables, 
which, ironically, I just mentioned, 
I heard giggling from the loch. 
Giggling with an adorable Scottish accent! 

I raced toward the water, but stopped cold. 
Literally. 
The water felt frigid. 

But I peered as best I could. 
Now I know why people hate the murkiness 
of the waters of Loch Ness. 

Coleen called out, urging me into the water. 
Now, normally, the trifecta I can’t refuse 
is a gorgeous, smiling, undressed woman! 
Which is, of course, 
what got mankind in trouble in the first place, 
when Eve said, 
“Hey Adam, how about a piece of apple pie?” 

But one of my Kryptonites, 
besides alfalfa sprouts is water. 
Especially cold water. 

“I’m sorry Coleen. 
You’re a mighty lovely lass and all. 
But I come from a latitude much farther south than here. 
The water may feel brisk to you, 
but to me it’s frigid.” 

Coleen swam toward shore wearing only 
the murky waters of Loch Ness. 
Just then I glimpsed a distant ripple zooming closer. 
Could that be Nessie? 
I wasn’t sure what Nessie or Coleen expected 
from our time together, 
but to make sure Nessie didn’t get jealous, 
I hollered, “I’m with a friend!” 

Coleen asked, 
“Who are you talking to?” 

“Myself. 
Or the ghost of my dead uncle. 
Which sounds less crazy to you?” 
I couldn’t admit I called out to Nessie. 

“That’s right,” she laughed. 
“You’re a writer. Right? A comedy writer
You’re supposed to be funny.” 

I blushed. 
“Sometimes. 
There are different kinds of comedy. 
Some where you get lots of laughs per minute; 
others where you -- Yikes!” 

I dove in as my skinny dipping date 
suddenly plunged below the surface. 
I swam around, searching in vain, 
unable to peer into the dark waters of the Loch. 
“Coleen! Coleen?!” 

Coleen resurfaced and giggled 
in her super sexy Scottish accent. 

“That’s not funny.” 

Coleen ducked under again. 
“I just said ‘That’s not funny.’” 

She never resurfaced. 

Why cant hotties live forever?
I wept.
I shivered.
I soiled my swimsuit.

“Nessie? She just invited me to go swimming. 
I didn’t know she was going to be 
altogether in the altogether. 
The water’s so murky; I didn’t see a thing. 
Except when she bobbed in the water. 
Um, never mind
Nessie? I’m sorry I was late. 
I got on the wrong boat. 
Nessie?! What have you done?!” 

Nessie never replied. 
The ripple ceased. 
I was all alone. 
Weeping. 
Shivering. 
Desperately in need of antacid 
and a clean pair of undershorts. 

I felt much worse than 
when I ate alfalfa sprouts. 

Not knowing what else to do, 
I drove to the local authorities. 
I hated to think Nessie could be a killer. 
A thriller diller, but not a killer diller. 

I came to meet a friend. 
Met someone new who died horribly. 
And then had to turn around to hunt down 
the friend I came to meet. 

TO BE CONTINUED … 
Ripples of Regret

All the Best,



Jay Leno's First Stand-up Appearance on 

"The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson"

Uploaded on Mar 3, 2011 by
Uploaded on Mar 3, 2011


Rodney Dangerfield
It’s tough to stay married. 
My wife kisses the dog on the lips, 
yet she won’t drink from my glass!

Dean Burkey
I’m learning how to be happy. 
Which is just a fancy way of saying eating chocolate. 

Phyllis Diller
I’ve turned many a head in my day. 
And a few stomachs. 

Rita Rudner
After you’ve dated someone, 
it should be legal to stamp them with what’s wrong with them 
so the next person doesn’t have to start from scratch.

Steven Wright
My girlfriend asked me 
how long I was going to be gone on this tour. 
I said “the whole time”.




THE GREAT RODNEY DANGERFIELD

Uploaded on Oct 15, 2010 by


No comments:

Post a Comment