Monday, October 1, 2012

I Inspired a Comedian’s Bit

I Inspired a Comedian’s Bit


In the mid-to-late 1990s, I portrayed Jesus for Victory Church in Lakeland. (I think the play was called The Choice.) 

Apparently, they had reserved a donkey for the play, but the Animal Wrangler brought them a white mule instead. 

I don’t really know the difference. 

When the Palm Sunday scene came, I rode the mule down the length of the church, but then the mule started to slide on the ramp leading to the stage.

The mule panicked and bucked me, sending me flying over a nearby piano into a wall. 

I got up, but my Jesus wig was turned to the side a bit. 

I was too shell-shocked to notice or care. 

My back hurt; and it really was a miracle that I wasn’t more injured or in more pain. 

I hobbled through the rest of that scene where I “eagerly” greet my followers. 

My girlfriend at the time was in the line of followers, so when I passed by, she straightened my wig for me. 


Last night, I went to Victory Church to watch the funniest comedian in Lakeland, so far*, Justin N. Fennell perform. 

I think the theme of the service was nostalgia. 

Pastor Blackburn even sang the Ronnie Milsap classic: “Lost in the Fifties Tonight (In the Still of the Night)”. 

(I’m not kidding.) 

He did a great job too! 

(I’m still not kidding.

Justin Fennell who’s performed Christian comedy for decades geared his set around events that happened to him at or around Victory Church. 

He performed the bit about me second-to-last, but the last bit he performed, which was funny too, he turned into a spiritual lesson at the last minute. 

So technically speaking, from a Christian comedians perspective, the bit about me was his hilarious closer; and then he tacked on the other story to make a profound theological point. ;o)

He says it’s a true story. 

He even pointed at me in the crowd. 

But the thing to remember is: 

He’s a comedian. 

Most American comedy is based on exaggeration

And most comedians embellish

I’m glad I went, because Justin performed a great show, as always; and I enjoyed watching him perform his bit about me live. 

He showed it to me years ago on tape, but it wasn’t the same. 

I didn’t even realize the back story about the donkey/mule fiasco. 

But he made that funny too. 

He performed a hilarious bit, which made me, and it sounded like everyone else, laugh lots. 

Yes, I flew off the mule. 

And yes, my wig was turned to the side. 

But I didn’t get knocked unconscious. 

Nor did I call out “Father! Father!”, even though my Dad was there that night. But I found it funny, and a bit flattering as an actor, how he said I “stayed in character” to call that out. 

Plus, other funny tidbits he added. 

A fun show indeed. 

Thank you for lots of laughs last night Justin! 

Blessings & Joy,

* Im getting funnier, so hed better watch out! ;o)


For less than a dollar, 
you can enjoy the funniest rendition of 
The Prodigal Son: 



Be sure to visit his website: 

No comments:

Post a Comment