Monday, March 19, 2012

My Thoughts on Adele's Hit Song "Someone Like You"


Published on Sep 29, 2011 by  | #1 on the YouTube 100
Music video by Adele performing Someone Like You. (C) 2011 XL Recordings Ltd

Cool song, but it took me forever to figure out what she was singing at the end. Sounded like she sang "Sometimes it laughs in love."

I thought, "That's true; sometimes there is laughter, but who's it? And why is it laughing?" 

I quickly (slowly) realized that couldn't be right, because that didn't make sense. But the arrangement, the lyrics I could understand, and the awesome vocal performance attracted me to the song. Although I couldn't comprehend it, I couldn't turn away. I didn't even know who sang the song for a while either. I kept hearing the name Adele a lot, but I didn't know who she was. Finally I Googled the lyrics.


So yes, this is a great song. 
But lets buckle up and face a few facts:


The constant pleading refrain of  Dont forget me - I beg! makes her sound clingy. 


Her showing up uninvited out of the blue so much makes her sound a tad stalkerish too. 


And if shes that clingy and stalkerish, Im sure he wont forget her. 


Despite years of in-depth therapy. 


I still remember her, Doc. 
Increase the voltage!


Perhaps that pleading need to be remembered tugs at our heart-felt desire to out live our lives. Or plugs into our Jungian collective unconscious. Or simply sounds catchy.


Maybe thats why we blog. So thousands of years from now, when archaeologists excavate the Internet, theyll come across one of our posts and say: 


That Dean Burkey 
sure could make great pancakes. 


Her wanting someone like him reminds me of this (Author Unknown) joke: 


I just broke up with someone 
and the last thing she said to me was 
“You’ll never find anyone like me again!” 
I’m thinking, “I should hope not! 
If I don’t want you, 
why would I want someone like you?”


A powerful, moving  song, sung by a tremendous singer. Easy to see why this song's so popular. Kudos to Adele.


Yo, girl. Its cool you can sing.
But why you gotta break my heart?


This song's so sad, I cant be around sharp objects where I hear it. 


I also can’t be around sharp objects when I hear the Barney song. 


But that’s for different reasons.


And by sharp objects, I mean plastic sporks.


Oh, like Im the only one who finds hybrid utensils freaky.



Blessings & Joy,

No comments:

Post a Comment