Sunday, February 19, 2012

I Have Amazing Super Powers; and So Too Can You!

If you're hoping to see a video of me wearing long underwear and a cape and flying over the city, you're in luck. I just happen to have one right here:
"Whatever Man!"


That's a short film I wrote and starred in for a Clearwater/Tampa Bay Area cable access show in 1998 called "Comedy Buffet". (No connection to the Winter Haven-based improv group of the same name.) Produced by and co-starring Troy Bowman and Richard Eldridge. The script got changed quite a bit, as scripts often do, so Troy added the footage of the hillbilly with the shotgun because he just so happened to have that footage. He added some key lines too. Also co-stars Vivienne Brown and Gloria Smith. Also a couple girls whose names I can't recall.

Anyway, back to my blog:

Technically, the title should say: “I Have Amazing Super Powers; and So Do You!” But I didn’t think you’d believe me; and thus wouldn’t read what I have to say. But since I said “So Too Can You!”, you might be more interested in finding out how you too can acquire amazing super powers.

But the fact is: You already have amazing super powers!

Albert Einstein said: “Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

So don't be a fish trying to climb a tree. And don't be a cat trying to swim the Great Barrier Reef.

Discover what your super powers are and use them for the forces of good. And use them effectively too.

Aquaman in the desert won’t do anyone any good. Especially himself. In fact, he’ll just get on everyone else’s nerves. More so than he already does with his stinking up the Hall of Justice with his fish odors. Eau de Phish is not a big-selling cologne. And Water Boy’s always leaving inexplicable puddles all over the place.

1 Corinthians 12:4 (NKJV):
“There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.”

The Spirit being The Holy Spirit. God.

Any gift from God is supernatural and powerful; and thus, a super power.

But we each have our own super powers. If you try to fly alongside Superman without the ability to fly or web-swing alongside Spider-Man with a web-shooter, things will end messy for you. And for whomever's unfortunate to be beneath you at the time.

                       

What are you good at? Where do you excel?
What can you do amazingly
far beyond mere mortal men?

Embracing your super powers is fun!

My super power is making pancakes. I know that's not flying or breaking the sound barrier, but it works well for me. If making pancakes doesn't sound like a super power to you, that's only because you haven't tried my pancakes.

What a joy to wake up each morning and create some new kind of pancakes.

Or to recreate a personal favorite.

There is no limit to what I can do!

So yes, my super power is making pancakes.

My secret identity is: Pancake Man!

I have amazing pancake powers far beyond those of mere mortal men.

They not only taste super delicious; they're also made with healthy, all-natural ingredients too! I konw that doesn't sound humanly possible. And maybe that isn't. But I make them that way; and that's totally super!

The Who should sing a song about me: “He’s a Pancake Wizard!”

“Pancake Man, Pancake Man, does whatever a pancake can.”

With great power comes great responsibility, so one day I’ll have to write a cookbook of my amazing far beyond mere mortal men pancake recipes.

Until then, find out what you’re good at; and concentrate on that.

We often work so hard to overcome our “weaknesses”,
that we fail to make good use of our strengths.

Instead of trying to be someone else, be the best you, you can be.

That's pretty much the lesson of almost every fairy tale you've ever read.

The Ugly Duckling, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Spider-Man.

No one can be better at being you than you can. Excel in your own area of expertise instead of trying to be better than your "hero" or "idol".

Jonathan Kent in the 1978 movie "Superman": "No, no. Now, you listen to me. When you first came to us, we thought people would come and take you away because, when they found out, you know, the things you could do. And that worried us a lot. But then a man gets older; and he starts thinking differently; and things get very clear. And one thing I do know, son; and that is you are here for a reason. I don't know whose reason, or whatever the reason is. Maybe it's because, uh, I don't know. But I do know one thing. It's not to score touchdowns."


Become your own super hero!

Jesus says in John 14:12 (NKJV): "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father."

Our only Kryptonite is our lack of faith.


For my next blog, be sure to tune in: Same Pancake Time; Same Pancake Channel!

Blessings & Joy,
Dean Burkey

P.S. Besides making amazing pancakes, I also write fun and funny books.

        

No comments:

Post a Comment