Friday, November 30, 2012

Happy Birthday Woody Allen!

Tomorrow (December 1) Is 
Woody Allens Birthday ... 

Happy Birthday 


What first got me interested in writing comedy? 

Looking through an issue of “Scholastic” magazine in eleventh grade and reading this opening passage in “The UFO Menace” by Woody Allen

“UFOs are back in the news, and it is high time we took a serious look at this phenomenon. (Actually, the time is ten past eight, so not only are we a few minutes late but I’m hungry.)” 

I had never read anything like that before! 

I had been interested in comedy long before that; and would even make up jokes, but I do believe that reading that little bit got me interested in writing comedy.  

(That bit of humorous prose got me literally interested in writing literary comedy.) 

(And possibly that little bit inspired me to use parentheses so much.)

You can read The UFO Menace” and more at this link which provides the texts from Woody Allens third collection of short stories and essays: Side Effects”.


I attribute my writing of “Monster Laughs” to my being inspired by his “Count Dracula” piece in his first collection: “Getting Even”.

Plus, “Seasons Without Reason”, the title piece from my first collection of short stories and such, was heavily influenced by Woody AllenReminiscences: Places and People”, also from “Side Effects.  That was me trying to be Woody Allen!  

I hope and wish and pray Ive developed my own style since then.  Or, at the very least, that Ive acquired enough other influences, that theyve blended into something unique that stands on its own. 

I am progressing as a writer; and have moved away from wanting to be Woody Allen.  Nothing against Woody Allen, but Woody Allens already the best Woody Allen around, so theres no need for me to compete with him.  Especially when I’m too busy trying to be the best Dean Burkey I can be.  I hope to have my latest comedy novella done before Christmas.  

Something I enjoyed recently ...

... was listening to Woody Allen read his own stories.  

(Okay, I didnt enjoy it at first, because he sounded like he was at deaths door; and that made me feel super sad.  Not unlike the time I cried after seeing Stardust Memories, because I thought he wasnt going to make funny movies any more.  And technically speaking, I wasnt entirely wrong.  But anyway, after learning he just had a cold when he recorded those stories, I enjoyed them much better.  Because, even with a cold, nobody reads Woody Allen like Woody Allen.) 

What got me interested in film comedy? 

I’ve always loved funny movies, but I remember, back in junior high, before the days of the phrase middle school, being mesmerized by the previews for the Woody Allen film “Love and Death”. 

As Woody Allen says: “My father owned a small but valuable piece of property”, an old bearded man reaches into his coat and pulls out a piece of sod that he holds majestically.

Uploaded by  on May 14, 2009
Love and Death (1975) Theatrical Trailer with Woody Allen voice-over.

Thank you Woody 
for lots of happy memories and laughs; 
and even though weve never met, 
thank you for helping a young kid 
learn comedy by your hilarious examples.

... Not me.  
But Im sure you helped some young kid somewhere!

... Okay me.
And thank you!

Happy Birthday 


P. S. See also I Am Not Woody Allen!

Uploaded by  on Aug 21, 2007
Classic Woody Allen Stand Up On English Television From 1965






 

No comments:

Post a Comment