Monday, February 27, 2012

The Edge of Glory: My "Romantic Dream" about Lady Gaga!

The Edge of Glory:
My “Romantic Dream”
about Lady Gaga!

WARNING: This is not a G-rated post. At the very least, the Lady Gaga videos are PG-13.* Okay, to be fair, although I thought it would be a fun prank nonetheless, I'll "ruin the surprise" and tell you: The videos are at best PG-13. But my "romantic dream" was rated G. 

All I used to know about Lady Gaga was she's a mega-superstar singer with whom I was mostly unfamiliar, because the radio stations to which I listen didn't play her music. Occasionally the music at the gym would play some of her songs, like "Paparazzi" and "Alejandro". I found those songs to be catchy and easily stuck in my head**, sort of like Disney's "It's a Small World"**. And then I watched the MTV Music Awards in 2009 and saw her deeply disturbing, and yet somehow riveting, live performance of her hit song "Paparazzi" as shown in the video below.

WARNING: You may find this video offensive, due to the gore and/or lingerie-clad performers*. Don't eat before watching this. Especially spaghetti. Or any other tomato-based foods. 


 

After watching that performance, my niece commented on Facebook: "may have nightmares of lady gaga tonight" To which I replied: "But what a trooper. She somehow cut an artery on a piano key, but kept right on singing."

A disturbing, yet mesmerizing, performance and some songs at the gym were what I knew about Lady Gaga. Until near the end of last year when I had the following "romantic dream" about her:

I was on vacation. Maybe at an island. Definitely at a beach. And I met Lady Gaga. I asked her what the secret is to her success; and I said that it would be okay for her to tell me, because she’s into music; and I’m into comedy, so her giving me the secret to success wouldn’t interfere with her career and wouldn’t cut into her profits. I then said that I would like to do some music sometime though. She said the secret is to listen to the “egrests” or “egrets” of the music. (Upon awakening, I thought maybe she said “ecrest” or “ecerts” which are anagrams of the word secret.) I said I was a fan. Then I admitted that I don’t listen to much pop music, nor did I have any of her records, but when I did hear her songs, I liked them. From then on, we hung out together for the rest of the trip. By the shore I saw a dolphin jump out of the water. I shouted, “Dolphin!” and tried to show Lady Gaga the dolphin. I then saw a Great White Shark skimming along the surface, but it looked battered and beaten. At one point, I grabbed her hand and we walked along the tranquil shore. And I thought “This is so surreal, walking hand-in-hand with Lady Gaga on a beach.” I tried to find Lisa, Laura, and Dana, so I could let them meet Lady Gaga. Instead, I met my parents while I was giving Lady Gaga a piggyback ride. I said, “Mom, Dad, this is Lady Gaga. And Lady Gaga, this is my Mom and Dad.” Mom and Dad didn’t react as expected, so I said to Lady Gaga, “Apparently, they don’t know who you are.” My Mom asked, “So? Is this your new friend?” Lady Gaga and I went off by ourselves. I wanted to kiss her, but my throat felt sore, so I didn’t want to make her get sick. But, at some point, she jabbed her tongue at my mouth. Maybe even into my mouth. Even though I explained about my sore throat. So that was big "romantic dream" about Lady Gaga. Holding hands and kissing. And least that's all that I care to share. ;o)

Ever since that dream though, I started to enjoy her music more, especially "The Edge of Glory":


 

She's as dramatic as can be and belts out her songs with flare! She definitely knows how to market herself too and sings catchy, repetitive songs which become embedded in your mind!**



* To help you focus on moral purity, please enjoy the music and writings of: Rebecca St. James

** To learn how to deal with songs that get stuck in your head, please read my previous post:
How to Sanctify Unsavory Songs

Philippians 4:8-9 (NKJV): "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. 9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you."

What's The Takeaway from all this? We're called to be in the world, but not of the world, but that doesn't stop the world from infiltrating our dreams. Might help to avoid spicy foods after sunset.

Blessings & Joy,
Dean Burkey


Unlimited Music On Demand. Try MOG Free!

No comments:

Post a Comment