Friday, February 24, 2012

My Favorite Music Videos (and Why)

My Favorite Music Videos 
(and Why)

* * * * * * *

“Say, Say, Say”
by Sir Paul McCartney
&
Michael Jackson

This is my all-time favorite music video. Great song! Amazing duet of two of the top-selling singers of all time: Sir Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson! Catchy song presented in a fun, fun way. The video is like a mini-movie. Most videos just show performers singing with their bands. This entertaining video has tons of plot. Twists, turns, subterfuge. Humor. I.e., the look on Michael Jackson's face when Sir Paul McCartney dabs his face with shaving cream. The biggest twist happened in real life as these two music giants recorded their legendary duets. Rising mega-star Michael asked former Beatle Sir Paul what he should do with the mounds of money he was making. Sir Paul told him to invest in song royalties. So Michael outbid him and bought the highly lucrative Beatles' song catalog! Sad for Sir Paul to be sure, but fortunate for Beatle fans, because after Michael's purchase, Beatle songs began appearing in ads, so we got to hear them more than before.


   

* * * * * * *

“Human Touch”
by Rick Springfield

The song’s cool. Fun video with a futuristic plot. What I like best is the ending. (I’ll let you watch it for yourself.) The message of the song and video still remains true today: “We all need the Human Touch.”


   

* * * * * * *

“The Salt in My Tears”
by Martin Briley

High-energy song with a funny video. Great electric guitar riff.  Fun gags sprinkled throughout as the singer’s ex and her cronies take away his stuff. The ending made this one of my faves. But for different reasons than “Human Touch”. If you go through a bitter breakup, you may find this song especially empowering. (Just found out: Martin Briley wrote the song “Me Without You” on Rebecca St. James’ CD “God”.)


  

* * * * * * *

“If This Is It”
by Huey Lewis and the News

I don’t know if this really one of my favorites. The other four are. The first three; and the one following. But I do enjoy this video too, if only because of the shark fin! Could also be considered an empowering breakup song of sorts. Maybe 1983 wasn’t my best year. Fantastic fun song with a fun video with lots of funny bits sprinkled throughout, culminating in the “Land Shark” ending. The theme of the story works well too: There are more fish in the sea. As one relationship ends, a better one begins.


   

* * * * * * *

“Heal the World”
by Michael Jackson

Contrasting images of pain, sorrow, hate and joy, laughter, and love. Clearly joy, laughter, and love are way better! An awesome song with a meaningful message. Possibly my all-time favorite song. Amazing melodies; catchy rhythm; inspiring lyrics. Soothing, yet powerful. Makes me want to help people in need. If we would all embrace our inner child, we could put an end to war. Unless, of course, our inner child is the sandbox bully.


   

If this song makes you want to help people in need too, donate to World Vision:



* * * * * * *

I realize most of these songs are from the 1980s! (The first three from 1983; the fourth from 1984; and the last one form 1992.) Apparently, I haven't had much of a chance to watch many music videos since then.

I’m sure I have other favorites, but I could only think of four at this time. (Five, if we count “If This Is It”. And maybe we should. After all, the band members got covered up to their necks in sand! That’s dedication.)

Which songs do you enjoy? What music videos are your favorites?

“I learned very early in life that 
‘Without a song, the day would never end; 
without a friend, a man ain't got a friend;
without a song, the road would never bend
- without a song.
So I keep singing a song.”
-- Elvis Presley

Next to the Word of God, 
the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world.
-- Martin Luther

“Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!
Sing to the Lord, all the earth.”
-- Psalm 96:1 (NKJV)

Praise God from the start; and keep a happy song in your heart.

Blessings & Joy,
Dean Burkey

No comments:

Post a Comment