Saturday, September 6, 2014

Can We Talk? Remembering Joan Rivers


Can We Talk?
Remembering Joan Rivers

I never met Joan Rivers, so I suppose it's silly for me to "remember" her. But I what I do recollect about her is that she pushed forward in her life, not letting the tragedies that plagued her along the way stop her. She was a real force of nature. You knew you were famous, if Joan Rivers insulted you. Sadly, I never had the privilege. Fortunately though, I have more than enough people in my life to insult me. Especially when I drive during rush hour without my glasses. 



Photo Source: 
HarperCollins e-books

Her death makes me think of that Dodge car commercial she did earlier this year, where, at the end, she drops the microphone and bolts away in a hurry, leaving us with a bunch of feedback. 



Dodge TV Spot 'Brothers' featuring Joan Rivers

Published on Apr 25, 2014 by

So here we are staring at the proverbial microphone on the empty red carpet, with feedback screaming in our ears, wishing she could come back on the red carpet one more time to tell us another joke. 


Joan Rivers: Stand-Up Pioneer Dead at 81 

- Fifty Years of Funny | The New York Times

Published on Sep 4, 2014 by

I read that Joan Rivers was kind, generous, and loving with those around her. Which reminds me of some movie, probably a made-for-TV movie, I saw decades ago where the insult comedian went to Heaven, because, although he made a living insulting people, he really cared about others, even those he insulted; and he was generous and charitable in his personal life. 



Photo Source: 
IFC Films

Clearly, we suffer a great loss as Joan Rivers was a highly talented performer and a truly one-of-a-kind person. She was so unique, in fact, that I think that with her insulting so many people in her lifetime, she wants to be the one insulted for a change, even in death. Although not a fan of insult comedy myself, nor a big practitioner thereof, I hereby honor such an odd request: 


They say only the good die young;
Joan Rivers died at age eighty-one.

To which I'm sure she'd respond: 
"Thank you so much!" 

Only her way of saying thanks would be: 
"Listen Blogger Boy, 
I've stepped in dog $#%& 
that was funnier than you." 

To which I'd reply: 
"Aw, you're so sweet."

Only my way of saying that would be 
crying into my pillow all night. 

And obviously, 
I mean crying into my pillow all night 
in a macho, manly way.

Rest In Peace Joan Rivers. 
Now you can crack jokes 
about the puffy bright clouds 
and the never-ending harp music. 

I imagine her barging into 
The Throne Room of God, 
or pounding on God's bathroom door, 
and saying: 

"Look Big Guy, 
I'm sure You're busy, 
what with You still trying 
to make sense of the platypus, 
reality TV, 
and Snuggies for Pets; 
but can we talk?
Now don't get me wrong, 
pearls are great, 
but don't You have gates 
with other jewels? 
What's wrong with diamonds? 
Oh God, 
I love diamonds! 
You call this Heaven?! 
How the H*ll can I rest in peace 
with that angelic choir of Yours 
singing praises at all hours of the night?
And where's the chocolate cake 
that won't make me fat?"

Can we talk? 
I wish we could. 

Dean Burkey


Joan Rivers stand-up hilarious monologue Tonight Show 1983 - 84

Uploaded on Apr 29, 2009 by 

Come Back Monday, September 8, 2014 for: 
Funny Joan River Jokes

No comments:

Post a Comment