Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Cruising ...


For our family reunion this year, we took a cruise on the Disney Dream ship.

Lots of fun. More fun seeing Disney through the eyes of my nieces.

I enjoyed Disney's private island Castaway Key. Especially the water slides. Saw some freaky fish too. Possibly a purple grouper. And some fish that would remain still and blend in so well, you'd convince yourself that it wasn't a fish, but merely an illusion. But as soon as you'd think that, it would move!

You can eat as much as you want on a cruise. Even more! And such tasty varieties too. Buffets, menus.

The best part is being with family. The next best part is meeting people. Whether it's fellow passengers as you wait to ride the Aqua Duck (the onboard water slide) or wait for a show to start. Or meeting the many friendly staff who work hard to create a fun experience for one and all.

Several staff members made the cruise so much fun that I had to request more comment cards, because the one they gave us didn't have enough room. Even then, there are several others I should've mentioned too. I even asked for another card to add the two people who gave me the card before that.

I love name tags. I agree with Cosmo Kramer on "Seinfeld" that everyone should wear name tags.

Wouldn't people act friendlier and commit less crimes if everyone else knew their names?

I enjoyed being with family, meeting new people, eating lots of food, watching the live shows, listening to the duo TanJobi, riding the Aqua Duck onboard, and the two water slides at Castaway Key.

My favorite time might have been when I made my two youngest nieces laugh a lot as I played keep away (more like bull-fighter) with a towel with my sister's oldest daughter and then her youngest daughter started charging at me too, laughing.

Another favorite moment is seeing the engagement ring on my oldest niece's left hand and hearing as she and her new fiancé recounted how he proposed. Congratulations you two!

I also enjoyed meeting people: Rini from Indonesia, Jess from Canada, Kelly from England, her friend Sara(h?) from England, Antje from Germany, Maria from Brazil, Sara(h?) from the United Kingdom, Hayley from England, TanJobi (Jenny from Southern California and Tony from England; the name TanJobi means Celebration in Japanese), and Tony from the Philippines who performed magic tricks at dinner. And many, many others. Including Brigita from Serbia. Ria from ?. Also passengers without name tags whose names I can't recall.

Lessons Learned:

+ Sleep in the afternoon if you want to stay up late.

+ Take a longer cruise, so you feel less rushed and have time to relax, but still enjoy many of the amazing amenities the cruise offers.

+ Cherish your family members and friends Call them today. Talk to them. Don't text. Don't email. Don't wait. Tomorrow may be too late.

+ Connect with people. Call them by their names. They love it. (Except people named Beauregard and Skippy. Especially women named Beauregard and Skippy.)

Blessings & Joy,
Dean Burkey

No comments:

Post a Comment