Friday, June 10, 2011

My Hymn Improv

I'm part of an improv comedy troupe called the ImprovAddicts. Founded by Daniel Terry, now run by Mike Cotton and Darryl Knapp. But even before that, back in October, 2006, I used an improv routine in my standup show for my friend David Warren's church Presbyterian Chapel in the Grove (or "Pres-Chap" as I like to call it).

I needed to write a bunch of new material and worried about being able to memorize so much too. So I thought I'd use an improv bit as part of my show. That way I'd have less to remember; and at least that part of the show would appear spontaneous, because it would be.

Thinking about improvisation, I remembered that long ago, Mac Davis and his band used to improvise songs based on audience suggestions, so I figured I could improvise a hymn a cappella and created my Hymn Improv:

I get 3 random words or phrases from the audience and turn those into a new hymn. If the first improvised hymn goes well, I take 3 more words/phrases plus a style of music and make up a second hymn in that style of music. That adds to the humor since the audience picks types of music not normally associated with hymns, such as rap or heavy metal. I can’t Improv in print, so here’s what happened the first time I performed my Hymn Improv:

The suggestions were: “I’ll be back”, banana, refrigerator, and bratwurst.

(ImprovAddict me, I took four suggestions instead of three.)

With those suggestions, I came up with Hymn 144,072:

“I’ll Be Back in the Refrigerator Lord, If You Don’t Save Me Now”:

(You can make up your own hymn-esque tune as read the lyrics, because I made up one as I sang them.)

"When Jesus ascended, He said, “I’ll be back”;
and so we wait like a banana,
in the refrigerator, changing day by day.
Hopefully, He’ll come back,
before we look like bratwurst,
on the happy Judgment Day.
A-a-amen!"

This is true improv! I have no idea what tune or lyrics I'm going to sing or how I'm going to weave the suggestions together until I start singing. But that's what makes this so much fun for everyone. I have a friend play four measures on a piano; and then I start. Four measures is all I get! To me, this involves a lot of Divine Intervention and Inspiration.

What added to the humor was when the Pres-Chap crowd chose rap for the song style of the second hymn; and yet, David still played the same traditional four measures for the intro!

I've only performed the Hymn Improv a couple times, but it's never missed. Maybe that's why it's my favorite part of my show. (And the crowd's too.)

Even when I bombed for a Salvation Army Christmas dinner show; they laughed at that. Which I thought was great, because I follow that up with my surefire hilarious material. But unfortunately, they went back to their blank stares afterwards. But still, they roared at the Hymn Improv. And for the second rendition, where they get to pick the song style, they chose heavy metal!

For me, the part that's most fun, and the most difficult, is to sing "A-a-amen!" with a traditional hymn ending tune after having performed rap or sung a heavy metal hymn. I sing the wild antics of the chosen genre; and then end with "A-a-amen!" The juxtaposition of those two very different song styles (traditional hymn music and something totally modern and non-hymn-ish) strikes me as funny, so that's hard to do without cracking up.

That's my Hymn Improv.


Remember, when times get tough, get a tougher faith. And no matter what life throws at you, improvise a tune to get you through.

Have a safe weekend. You are not alone. Jesus is with you always until the end of the age. (Matthew 28:20)

Blessings & Joy,
Dean

1 comment: