Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Writing Nightmare

The Writing Nightmare


Photo by Daniel Terry.

Writing a blog post about nightmares (see The Worst Nightmares Ever), reminded me of the Godzilla dream that inspired the department store scene in the Space Alien chapter of Monster Laughs, which got me to thinking: How does the Mystery Hunter get his trench coat and fedora back? Thus, while writing about nightmares, I uncovered a writing nightmare! 

Here’s the paragraph from page 180: 

Having switched clothes with a mannequin during my delightful conversation with the young screamer, I ducked under the sales counter.  A second later, a big blue hand reached into the store and grabbed the mannequin.  

You see? The giant alien grabs the Mystery Hunter’s clothes, which would be more than just his trench coat and fedora. 

Page 181 has this short paragraph: 

I removed my fancy fedora and nodded.  

So how did he get his outfit back? 

What if he doesn’t use his own outfit? Since his trench coat’s akin to Batman’s utility belt, he wouldn’t want to separate himself from his assortment of gadgets. 

Having dressed a mannequin with an outfit similar to mine during my delightful conversation with the young screamer, I ducked under the sales counter.  A second later, a big blue hand reached into the store and grabbed the mannequin.  

That should work. So if you hurry, you might be able to order a rare copy with the previous paragraph, before the change gets made. 


No comments:

Post a Comment