Thursday, April 5, 2012

Writing Advice


A friend asked for writing advice. I said the biggest thing is consistency. Even if it’s writing for only five minutes a day. We both made a commitment to write non-stop for at least five minutes at least six days a week for the rest of this month. So that’s what I’m doing. 


Obviously, this task proves more effective with a focus for the writing. As anything with a specific goal usually tends to be more productive. “Begin with the end in mind.” That sort of thing. 


But then again, I also like to write, more like ramble, to see where the writing (rambling) takes me. Perhaps that stems from the hope of tapping into some brilliant subconscious stream of thought. Or Jung’s collective unconscious. Or wherever happens to be the source of incredibly clever ideas. 


The trick is to write non-stop without correcting yourself until you finish. That’s difficult for me. I’ve already corrected myself twice. At least twice. But to my credit, I’ve also left a lot mistakes for me to fix once I finish this spurt of non-stop writing. 


The reasoning? The right side of the brain is the creative side. The left side the critical side. Once you start making corrections, you engage the left brain, which inhibits, maybe even cuts off, the flow from the right side. You want the flow from the right side to create new things. Afterwards, you enlist the left side to make sense of and “repair” what needs to be fixed. 


Create. Then edit. 


That’s the beauty of improv. You don’t know what you’re going to say until you say it. More or less. You want to be in the flow. If you think about it too much, you restrict yourself and cut off your access to your creative right side. 

Blessings & Joy,

No comments:

Post a Comment