Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Tragedy: Remembering Robin Gibb and the BeeGees

Tragedy: 
Remembering Robin Gibb 
and the BeeGees

Apparently, I’m not a big news guy; 
I just found out that Robin Gibb died. 

Uploaded by  on Feb 12, 2011


I was a BeeGees’ fan when it was popular to be one; and when it wasn’t. In many ways, the BeeGees taught me songwriting, a skill I don’t exercise like I used to, but hope to resume soon. Two of the first songbooks I had were The BeeGees Volume 1 and Volume 2 which I bought at Spec’s Music while still in high school. (I learned from a made-easy for guitar John Denver songbook too. And, of course, the Beatles!) 

Whether you liked the BeeGees or not, they were topnotch songwriters, writing hits for other artists besides themselves. Often writing their best songs for others. Generous, good-natured, fun-loving, strong family people. At least that’s my impression. 

Uploaded by  on Dec 30, 2010

A lesser known song of theirs that I like a lot is “Sea of Smiling Faces”. Has such a happy lilt to it. The world needs more happy music. I also like the imagery and melodies of “How Deep Is Your Love?” And the driving bass riff of “Tragedy”. 

I think they invented disco, to one degree or another. They certainly put it on the musical map. 

Driving over a bridge in Miami, Barry noticed the rhythm of the bridge’s slats beneath his car’s wheels. That rhythm inspired “Jive Talking” which became a big hit for them and helped to re-launch their careers. 

The music producer on “Nights on Broadway” asked if they could scream in harmony. Or melodically. Or in key. Something like that. So Barry tried it; and that’s how they got their falsetto sound. 

Uploaded by  on Jan 17, 2010

But long before that, they thrived as a vital part of the British invasion, following the mega-success of the Beatles. With hits like “Words”, “To Love Somebody”, and “How Do You Mend a Broken Heart?” 

Somehow, they languished, or fell out of favor. I don’t know. But “Jive Talking” and “Nights on Broadway” jumpstarted their career. 

And the soundtrack to “Saturday Night Fever” took them out of orbit, making them mega-stars, global sensations. 

Sadly, they became so popular, that they became unpopular. They got so much airplay, that some people got sick of them and started to mock them. Like the scene in “Airplane” where the plane knocks over the radio tower of the station playing disco; and everybody cheers. 

What grosses me out is when Denis Leary, the comedian, also an actor who plays Captain Stacy in the new Spider-Man movie, talked about how glad he was when a BeeGee died. Might have been after Andy died. How sick is that? To me, that’s not comedy. That’s cruel and heartless. 

I feel saddest for Barry. Although the oldest brother of the four, he outlived them all. He must be devastated. First, Andy’s death; and then Maurice’s, both tore him apart. He struck me as being a caring big brother. Helped Andy with his hits. And spoke of him with pride. How does he fill the role of big brother now? 

He’s on my list of people I want to meet. Along with Stan Lee, Jackie Chan, Michael J. Fox, Woody Allen, Steve Martin, and Brian Regan. And Duane Johnson, so I can pitch him a script. And, of course, Colbie Callait, so we can make beautiful music together.

The BeeGees made their living making people feel good with their music. They also used the song royalties from “Too Much Heaven” to help children around the world via UNICEF. So let’s remember them fondly. And let’s pray for Barry and other family members and loved ones of Robin Gibb to be able to work through their grief as constructively as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment