Friday, March 22, 2013

My Friend Reverend Rick


My Friend 
Reverend Rick
by
Dean Burkey



Photo Source: http://voxvisuals.com/products.htm



The Lutheran Faith: A Mighty Fortress

Published on Jan 27, 2013 by

Photo Source: http://voxvisuals.com/products.htm

As those of the Christian faith 
celebrate next week as Holy Week, 
I thought now would be a good time 
to talk about My Friend Reverend Rick
Pastor Rick Sawyer.

Long ago, 
we were in youth group together 
at St.Paul Lutheran Church
in Lakeland, Florida


My most vivid memory of Rick 
from way back then was when 
we played racquetball at the YMCA
After we finished, I noticed steam coming off his arms! 
I'd never seen, before or after that incident, 
steam coming off someone's arm before. 
I don't even remember if it was cold out. 

More important than that though, 
I remember that Rick's a true man of God, 
encouraging, affable, hip, fun, cool, 
creative, talented, musical, 
fun-loving, humorous, and Scriptural. 
And he has an excellent laugh. 

Sometime in the middle of the last decade, 
through his production company Vox Visuals
Pastor Rick produced the above movie:
"The Lutheran Faith: A Mighty Fortress"

wherein I portray Jesus. 

We filmed my part at the Holyland Experience 
in Orlando, Florida in the middle of the night 
while they were closed. 
(They had permission.) 

About a year or so after that, 
I portrayed Jesus again in Rick's second film production: 
"Holy Baptism: Water of Life".

We filmed my part at Tenoroc State Park 
where I got crucified on a bicycle seat 
and baptized in alligator-infested waters!

Thank you Rick for your 
ongoing friendship and encouragement 
and the many happy, one-of-a-kind memories!
May you and those of your church and faith 
enjoy a blessed and meaningful Holy Week 
with a joyful Easter next week!

All the Best,
Author Unknown
(but one source said LCMS Lutheran):
How many Lutherans 
does it take to change a lightbulb?
Answer: 
None; 
Lutherans don't like change!


Garrison Keillor:
Lutherans usually follow the official liturgy 
and will feel it is their way of suffering for their sins.


Garrison Keillor:
Lutherans believe in prayer, 
but would practically die if asked to pray out loud.

Lutherans think that 
Garrison Keillor stories are totally factual.

You Know 
You Might Be 
A Lutheran If ...

Garrison Keillor:
When you watch a "Star Wars" movie; 
and they say, "May the Force be with you", 
you respond, "And also with you".

Here's My Friend Reverend Rick 
playing and singing a song he wrote 
called "Truer Blood":



Truer Blood (Original Song Recording)

Published on May 29, 2012 by

No comments:

Post a Comment