Friday, March 8, 2013

A Dean Reads Book Review: Breaking Comedy's DNA


A Dean Reads 
Book Review!
Of Jerry Corley's
"Breaking Comedy's DNA"


Reviewed 

I’m an avid reader of books and an enthusiastic watcher of videos about how to create comedy. Always searching for the ever elusive secret to comedy. ‘Cause once I find it, I will rule the world. 

Yes, one day, you will all bow before me; and call me Skippy! 

Make that King Skippy. 

But don’t worry, I’ll be a benevolent ruler. Nothing like that other world leader we hear so much bad press about. 

Which reminds me, I need to adjust the A.C. 

Anyway, after I find the secret to comedy and use my newly-earned billions, make that trillions, and my surefire laugh-getting abilities to take over the planet, I’ll make sure the next big discoveries are supermodel clones and a tasty non-fat chocolate that gives everyone who eats it super powers! 

So really, my ruling the world will be a win-win-win for everyone! 

Cool deal? 

Okay, call my search for the secret to comedy a passion. 

Or an obsession. Whatever. 

But wanting to discover the secret to comedy; and having enjoyed Jerry Corley’s YouTube videos on how to write comedy, I thought: Where better to learn the intricacies of comedy and how to write jokes? Than from the Joke Doctor himself! The founder of the Stand Up Comedy Clinic: Jerry Corley!

So I had to get his book! And I’m glad I did too. I enjoyed it a lot! 

Jerry teaches more than the same old rehashed theories I found in other books on the same subject. He also provides practical methods for creating comedy too. 

When working for the Tonight Show, he used to write over 120 jokes a day, which was why he developed some of the methods he shares in his book. 

[I wrote over 100 jokes one day, but those were mostly Tom Swifties. {See my previous posts: The Easiest Jokes to Write! (Part 2) and Swifties.} Tom Swifties are fun, sometimes funny, but usually not hilarious. Fortunately, the joke-writing techniques this book teaches far exceed the limitations of mere Tom Swifties.] 

Jerry teaches not only in an informative manner, but in a fun and humorous way too. Joking as he writes about writing jokes. 

If you want to learn how to write jokes, this book will teach you that and more. 

I give the book 5 out of 5 stars! 

The only thing that I thought was strange; (and I may have had an earlier version of the book), is: 

Why would a guy who can write well over 100 jokes a day use some of the same joke examples more than once? 


Jerry?! 
What’s the deal man?

All the Best,


Click Here to Learn More!

Please Note: 
I was not paid to write this review.
I purchased my own copy of the book. 
I make a commission off the sale of this book, 
but I would not recommend it, 
nor promote it, if I didnt like it.
Thank you,
Dean

Please Note: 
The following contains some language 
that some fine folks may find offensive. 

Jerry Corley Talks Comedy Structure


Uploaded on Apr 7, 2011 by
StandUpComedyClinic

How to Write Comedy - Jerry Writes 15 Jokes in 30 minutes (No Music)


Uploaded on Aug 9, 2011 by
StandUpComedyClinic


Jerry Corley
[Losing my hair is] embarrassing sometimes.  
Like this morning, 
my wife was running her fingers through my hair.  
But I already left for work.


Jerry Corley
There are several commercials on TV 
featuring Dr. Robert Jarvik, 
the inventor of the artificial heart.  
I’m thinking “inventor?!”  
My ex-wife has had an artificial heart for years!

Jerry Corley
A cop pulled me over the other day. 
He said, “Do you know how fast you were going?” 
I said, “You think at that speed, 
I’d risk taking my eyes off the road 
to check the speedometer?”

No comments:

Post a Comment