Monday, February 10, 2014

A Dean Reads Book Review: Malcolm Gladwell's David and Goliath


A Dean Reads Book Review: 
Malcolm Gladwell's 
David and Goliath
(Underdogs, Misfits, 
and the Art of Battling Giants)

What an intriguing and fascinating book! 
Malcolm Gladwell is quickly becoming 
one of my favorite writers. 

After me
of course, 
and Stan Lee

To hear Malcolm explain it, 
Goliath was the underdog. 
The big guy never stood a chance! 

Thanks to the infantryman versus a slinger scenario. 

Plus, that which gave Goliath his “advantage” 
also gave him his greatest weakness. 

Acromegaly, 
the disease that gave Goliath his giant size, 
also plagued with double vision. 

So all Goliath was to David 
was a giant can’t-be-missed target! 

Gladwell also explains how a computer nerd 
who never played basketball 
coached a team of daughters of computer nerds 
into becoming a winning team. 

And much, much more! 

Did you know that one third 
of all successful entrepreneurs have dyslexia? 

I enjoyed learning about the advantages of disadvantages; 
(and the disadvantages of advantages); 
desirable difficulties; 
and the limits power. 

And how the inverted U-curve relates 
to classroom size, 
family income, 
and alcohol consumption, 
regarding the effectiveness of each. 

Often, 
those in power achieved the opposite effect 
of what they thought their harsh “shows of strength” 
would accomplish


Other Books by Malcolm Gladwell:




You might also enjoy my book review of:
Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell

Click Here to Shop at Amazon!

I Am A Pilot The Smothers Brothers

Uploaded on Jan 17, 2011 by

Mitch Hedberg
Every Book is a children’s book, if the kid can read.

Dean Burkey
(From the book “Holy Laughter!”): 
Killing Goliath with a stone 
made David a rock star.

Ray Divine
The bigger they are; 
the harder they fart.

Dean Burkey
(From the book “Monster Laughs”): 
How could this day go so awry? 
I ate waffles and pie! 
Two pies even. 
A peanut butter chocolate pie 
with added slices of banana; 
and a coconut cream. 
I should be invincible. 
So I’m not going to let 
a little thing like giants ruin my day. 

Steven Wright
I was in a job interview 
and I opened a book and started reading. 
Then I said to the guy, 
“Let me ask you a question. 
Suppose you are in a space bus 
traveling at the speed of light, 
and you turn on the headlights--what happens?” 
He said, “How should I know?!” 
I said, “Forget it, I don’t want to work for you.” 



Malcolm Gladwell: The unheard story of David and Goliath

Published on Sep 30, 2013 by TED

EvilTwinStore

No comments:

Post a Comment