Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Amazing Spider-Man Is Spectacular!

Is Spectacular!


Fun, fun, fun movie, which turned out to be a lot of fun. I also enjoyed it immensely. Loved it too.

I saw it in 2D, so I'll bet it's Super Dee Duper Spectacular in IMAX 3D!

I felt the story started slow. But overall, it more than made up for that once Peter Parker got spider powers!


Published on May 3, 2012 by 


What made this one work more than the previous three is that Spidey had a sense of humor!

That's what was missing. One of the best things about Spider-Man is his witty wisecracks.

Inevitably, in the comic book, that is, when he's in trouble and too busy trying to find a way to beat the bad guy, the super villain says something like: "Where's your funny banter now Spider-Man?"




Stan Lee had a hilarious cameo! One of the best parts of Marvel Superhero Movies is the Stan Lee cameo!

I also enjoyed C. Thomas Howell's role a lot! I didn't think the producers could create another moving scene like the subway scene from Spider-Man 2, but they did.

(I'm being vague so I don't ruin the movie for those who haven't seen it yet.)




In many ways, the story seemed too similar to Spider-Man 1. But Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone both did great.

Was it worth rebooting? Yes! If only for Spidey having a sense of humor!

When you see it, there's a scene shortly after the closing credits begin. Not at the very end. So once you see the scene, you can go.


Rest In Peace: 


The closing credits dedicated the movie In Loving Memory to Laura Ziskin and someone else. I think I talked to her once on the phone. She was nice. Cordial. Or maybe I emailed her. I think I communicated with her after the first Spider-Man movie came out, because I wrote a screenplay for my own superhero. Too bad Hollywood wants established heroes. Anyway, my heart goes out to her's and the other person's families, friends, and coworkers. Thank you for the many happy memories you created.

For more Spidey/Superhero fun, be sure to read my blog posts: The Superhero with the Most TV Shows, My Favorite Superhero Movies, and What Makes Spider-Man So Amazing?.



The following comments are intended for people 
who have already seen the movie -- 
-- Like I said, the movie started slow. I didn't think they needed all that stuff about his parents. The film makes it seem like only Peter Parker could have become Spider-Man. But the fun of Spidey is the hope that we could get bit and become superheroes ourselves. The comic book What If # 7 "What If Someone Else Besides Spider-Man Had Been Bitten By The Radioactive Spider?" had three different people (Colonel John Jameson, Flash Thompson, and Betty Brant) get bit by that illustrious radioactive spider.
-- I didn't like that Gwen knew Spider-Man's secret identity. Especially so soon! That took away the biggest conflict in superhero movies! Plus, a big source of turmoil for Pete/Spidey in the comic books is that Gwen Stacy loved Peter Parker, but hated Spider-Man, because she blamed Spidey for her father's death. But since they did that anyway, I liked how he said, "I'm bitten." And she said, "Me too." That was cute. Plus, once she knew his identity, I loved how she smacked the Lizard with a stool and came to his aid. She even knew that her dad made him promise to stay away from her to keep her safe. 
-- Didn't seem right that the Lizard snuck up on Spider-Man more than once, since the Web-Head has Spider Sense. Plus, he should never have been hit by the bullet fired by that one police officer either. 
-- The Police Force blaming Spider-Man for Captain Stacy's death would have made things more difficult for Spider-Man, so that got missed. Also missing was J. Jonah Jameson! 
-- Having said all that, and I probably have more to say, I enjoyed the movie. The effects were amazing. The movie was fun! The scene with the cranes being lined was deeply moving. And I understand that when you translate a book, even a comic book, some things need to be altered for the screen. But the way Spidey webbed Gwen after he threw her out the school window is what killed her in The Amazing Spider-Man # 121.


No comments:

Post a Comment